Colic in Newborn : How to handle

Hi Everyone welcome to Cheekoo Garden

      
        Colic... What is that?? Is my baby colic?? This was  my reaction when my baby suddenly started this crying episodes... Is your new born crying continuously for hours without reason or are you not able to find the reason why your new born is crying? Is he/she colic?
      
         Well, in simple "When your baby is healthy and has no medical history, but still he /she cries uncontrollably at particular time of the day for at least three to four hours,then it might be a sign that your baby is Colic."
         Post my delivery everything was going so good, I was on cloud nine seeing my baby girl. Then this Colic episode kicked in which made my life miserable.
          She was just 5 weeks old when she suddenly started crying at around 11 P.M. It is very common as a new mom to get upset when your baby cries and you are not able to figure out the reason behind it. I was ready to do everything on earth which will soothe the baby... But what will i do?? 
          This was just the beginning, her cries used to reach the sky every night. It used to start some where around 11 to 12 in the night and used to reach its peak by 1 A.M or so... Then as if some magic has happened her cries used to drastically reduce and she used to go back to sleep by around 4 A.M.... 
          Oh god!!! My days where miserable when my girl was undergoing this colic episode. But why was she crying!? So many crazy assumptions as answer for this question... Is she gassy?? Ear infection?? Diaper rash?? Mosquito bite?? Does she has any serious issue?? What the hell has happened....
          Then I took her to doctor, after ruling out all the above, doctor said she might be "Colic"... Then I got this simple explanation from my doctor "When your baby is healthy and has no medical history, but still he /she cries uncontrollably at particular time of the day for at least three to four then it might be a sign that your baby is Colic". There is no proven evidence why some babies are prone to this. Colic does not need any treatment. It is not going to cause any long term effect to your baby. In most of the babies it goes off by six months of age, some might carry it on till one year... 
         All you need is to have patience and help your child to go through this phase... I was lucky that my girls crying episodes lasted for just few weeks and she was fine when she hit her 12th week. But there were times, when me and mom had to carry her in arms alternatively for whole night to soothe her... She used to refuse feeds and become so fussy... As days passed her colic episodes where over and she developed a proper sleep cycle like how adults do. Yes she do wake up in between for her feed and goes back to sleep after feed which is very normal. Today am a happy mom of my cute little doll.
         Dear mommies if you are in the same boat then please have patience. Your days will definitely get better when your baby develops his/her proper sleep cycle.
        Are you also the mom who is undergoing this or had undergone this with your baby. What did you do to soothe your baby? Please share your suggestions.
        

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky my child wasn't too colic, but there were times when he would cry and I had no way to soothe him. You feel so helpless! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happened with me too. I used to apply hing dissolved in water . Its really effective. I also made sure to avoid gassy foods at night as my lil one was on my breastfeed.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts